5 Effective Audience Targeting Strategies for Travel & Leisure Brands
By: Alex Fu, Global Director of Audience Insights
Travel brands represent one of the largest spending verticals within the Eyeota Audience Marketplace. So how has this diverse group of advertisers which includes airlines, booking sites, travel agents, hotels and auto rentals been using audience data to reach their target audiences?
The 2019 Eye On: Travel report uncovers a number of key insights around how travel and leisure-related advertisers and agencies develop and execute global audience targeting strategies including:
1. The majority of travel-related audience data spend in 2018 came from four travel & leisure sub-sectors: Travel Agents & Booking Sites (32% of spend), Airlines (22%), Hotels Resorts & Casinos (20%) and Tourism (10%).
2. In 2018, Travel Agent & Booking Site brands spent over $3,000 per audience targeting campaign, while the top 10 Airline advertisers (by annual data spend) spent over $10,000 per campaign.
3. 2H 2018 saw large increases in travel-related data spend, as Travel Agent & Booking Site advertisers peaked in Q3, representing the majority (52%) of data spend in the quarter and Hotels Resorts & Casinos advertiser data spending peaked in Q4 as those brands sought out holiday shoppers and travelers planning for warmer holiday trips.
4. According to our audience analyses, Travel Agent & Booking Site advertisers in May 2019 reached female-skewing audiences, typically in business services occupations, such as marketing, consulting and human resources.
5. Airline advertisers targeted a broad range of interest-based audiences related to art, movies, audiobooks, cocktail drinks and home cooking. This broad range of interest-based audiences could be used by airline brands to differentiate from one another as far as destinations and in-flight amenities.
Learn more about audience targeting and travel brands in our new 2019 Eye On: Travel insight report. It is a must-read for travel & leisure brands as well as advertisers looking for new, more effective audience targeting strategies.
Download it now to learn more about how leading travel & leisure advertisers reach their target audiences, understand target audience profiles and activate on effective audience targeting strategies.